Download the 2012 Emerging Filmmaker Grant Application.
MFVA has helped fund over 40 projects in its twelve years as an organization. We hope to be able to help you make your film a reality too.
Application process begins July 01, 2012.
Application deadline: Applications and supporting material must be mailed to MFVA at the address below postmarked on or before August 15, 2012. Applications received via e-mail will NOT be accepted.
Funds available: The MFVA board of directors will offer a maximum of $2,500 for each project and $500 for each student project. Projects requiring less than $2,500 will also be considered. Grants will be awarded no later than September 15, 2012.
Overall purpose: To help develop emerging Mississippi film and video artists as the next generation of Mississippi’s legacy of storytelling.
Project deadline: All funded projects must be completed by May 15, 2013. The filmmaker must send three DVD copies of the completed project by the deadline to MFVA to be showcased in a public screening.
Contact and mailing address:
Mississippi Film and Video Alliance
P.O. Box 12918
Jackson, MS 39236
The Mississippi Film and Video Alliance (MFVA) Emerging Mississippi Filmmakers Grant Program is funded through a generous grant from the Mississippi Film Office. The purpose of the grant is to help develop Mississippi’s film and video artists as the next generation of Mississippi’s legacy of storytelling. The grant is offered to working and emerging Mississippi filmmakers.
The filmmakers receiving funding are required to match, dollar-for-dollar, the amount of the grant funds in either cash or in- kind contributions.
The filmmakers receiving funding will receive half of the awarded amount upon announcement and the remaining half once finished projects are submitted to MFVA on DVD.
At the end of each grant period, MFVA will provide a public screening for the funded works.
MFVA requires the filmmaker to fill 50% of their cast and crew positions with Mississippi residents and to produce their project in Mississippi.
MFVA reserves the right to refuse funding where an application does not meet its criteria; would conflict with MFVA’s own fundraising activities, its 501(c)(3) status, or for any other reason at its discretion.
Due to finite resources, MFVA may limit the number of grants at any time.
The MFVA board is the final determining body for all grants based on the recommendations from an out-of-state jury. Their decision is final. Note: If a board member applies for the grant, they will not be eligible to participate in any of the discussion pertaining to the judging process to determine distribution of grant funds.
All projects must prominently credit the Mississippi Film and Video Alliance and the Mississippi Film Office in the film or video and in all advertisements. The filmmaker must use the words: “This project was made possible through the generous support of the Mississippi Film Office and the Mississippi Film and Video Alliance.”
- Filmmaker must submit an application fee of $35.
- Filmmaker must be a permanent legal resident of the state of Mississippi, having lived in the state at least one full year.
- Filmmaker must be at least 18 years of age.
- All funding and/or in-kind services secured to complete the film must be from sources such as foundations, individual donors, businesses, and corporations who expect nothing in return. Funding and/or in-kind services provided by “investors” is not eligible for consideration.
- Filmmaker must show a dollar-for-dollar cash or in-kind match for the funds being requested.
- The words “In-kind” along with the fair value of the contribution should be noted on any non-cash item including
- services such as loan of equipment, unpaid labor of cast or crew, etc.
- Cash match from any other source (other grants, underwriting, filmmaker’s cash, etc) must be verified in writing showing the source of these funds.
- Emerging Mississippi Filmmakers Grant monies must be the last dollars in, meaning that added to the matching funds, they must be sufficient to complete the production
- Project may not be considered lobbying or influencing politics in any way
- Filmmakers may submit only one application per grant cycle.
- Awarded applicants may not apply for funding during the next grant year cycle.
- Funds may not be used to reimburse expenses already incurred prior to the issuing of the grant. In other words, films completed prior to the issuance of grant funds are ineligible.
- Filmmaker must be willing to serve as a mentor to future grant recipients.
Application and Approval Process
Applications will not be accepted after the August 15, 2012 deadline. For an application to be considered the filmmaker must include:
- Completed application (5 copies)
- Completed script or detailed description of the project (5 copies)
- Resumes (two page max) of all key cast and crew (5 copies)
- Narrative (2 pages maximum) discussing your development as a filmmaker. (5 copies)
- DVD example of previous works. (5 copies)
- Budget, in US dollars, showing how grant funding will be spent and showing the amount and source of all matching funds and/or in-kind services. (5 copies).
- The non-refundable submission fee. ($35 for non-students, $25 for students) Incomplete applications will not be processed.
The MFVA board of directors is the final determining body by which projects are approved and disapproved and their decision is final.
Applications, scripts, budgets, etc will only be returned if filmmaker provides a large self-addressed, postage pre-paid envelope. DVDs, videos, and audio tapes will not be returned.
MFVA cannot be held responsible for lost or destroyed applications, attachments, and/or media.